A year in review: I looked back over my blog entries and my photos from 2010 and wanted to share a few memories from each month. I’ve linked back to a lot of the stories I blogged about already, in case you are interested in looking back with me & reminiscing. This is the first time I’ve done something like this. It was a lot of fun to look back and see where I’ve been and what I’ve done this year.
- Lived in Paris across the street from Sarkozy.
- Winter was COLD and I froze my buns off in my uninsulated apartment, even with a radiator and a hot water bottle.
- Took me lots of arguing & the whole month to get my pass éducation, which let me get into most museums for free.
- I finally got the pass.
- Snowpocalypse in the States. I missed it, though. It snowed in Paris too, but only a little bit.
- Visited Hamburg. The Alster was frozen. We took a day trip to Keitum and Sylt. Saw Stefan Zweig’s Schachnovelle at the Altonaer Theater.
- Went snowboarding for the first time in Switzerland. Hated it for the first 4 days, enjoyed it the last 3 days when I wasn’t falling down so much!
- Met Tobi’s brother and (now) sister-in-law and his baby niece, Clara
- Participated in a friend’s sister’s college radio program.
- Jon & Jaimie visited (my brother & his girlfriend) for a few weeks. Did a lot of sight-seeing!
- Made 2 stop-motion videos (1, 2) with them
- Had Ladurée macarons with Peter, went to the Petit Palais
- Tobias visited. We took a road trip along the coast – from Saint-Malo & Mont Saint-Michel to Bordeaux and St.-Émilion, then back up to Paris. (blogged here)
- Volcano in Iceland! Tobias was in London (& got a London agent!) and had a hard time getting back!
- Bike trip at the Loire with my friends
- MIKA concert. BEST CONCERT EVER.
- Picnics on the Pont des Arts with friends
- Celebrated Cinco de Mayo with friends at Sara & Libby’s apartment
- Said goodbye to Peter (who went back to the States)
- Tobi’s brother’s wedding in Bielefeld
- Went out for falafel with the girls
- Had a crazy night at Sacré Coeur (some guy stole Paula’s iPhone, I caught him)
- Rushed around to get taxes in last-minute!!
- France was on strike again.
- Saw Sex & the City 2 with the girls and got all dressed up
- Watched lots of the World Cup.
- Fête de la Musique
- Went up the Eiffel Tower with Tobias
- Went to the Willy Ronis exhibition with Libby
- Left Paris. Moved to Hamburg!
- Got my hair cut – and bangs for the first time in about 10 years! (I always had bangs as a child.)
- Flew to the States with Tobi for a visit
- Celebrated 4th of July
- Visited friends & hung out with family
- Spent a weekend in Baltimore, saw Laura
- Spent a weekend in NYC, saw Stephanie
- Took a road trip with Tobias (blogged here)
- Watched Tour de France
- Had a going away party
- Annual Ocean City trip with family (see above photo – some of my family!)
- Officially moved to Hamburg
- Had frustrating experiences at the Ausländerbehörde (immigration office)
- Grilled at the Elbe
- Made 4 simple goals, did a pretty bad job at keeping half of them. lol.
- Ate meals on our balcony
- Made Pumpkin Spice Latte syrup
- Officially started work as a freelance English teacher with 3 different schools
- Bought a Jaguar (bicycle, lol)
- Saw a double rainbow and a very impressive sunset
- Went out on a girls’ night with some Germans
- Turned 24
- Went on a road trip with Tobias to the Mecklenburger Seeplatten
- Worked like a madwoman! (Seriously crazy hours!)
- Tobi’s vernissage at the church – his artwork hung for the month of November
- Saw an apartment. Got offered the apartment. Waffled about if we’d get the apartment or not. Decided to take it. And that’s where we live now! So glad!
- Took my honey out on a date to a ballet and then sushi
- First real snow in Hamburg
- Moved into our new apartment
- Bought & decorated our first Christmas tree (a live one!)
- Went to IKEA 3 times in 4 weeks. Oy.
- Built our kitchen, bought big appliances (fridge, washing machine, dishwasher)
- Watched How the Grinch Stole Christmas about 100 times (I made an English lesson from it)
- Went to the Fishmarkt once (Tobi went two more times alone)
- It snowed A LOT
- Celebrated Tobi’s 38th birthday (sorry honey, just outed your age!)
- Did a lot of baking
- Couldn’t find any peppermint extract anywhere, and the candy canes I got were cherry-flavored. Boo.
- Spent Christmas in Bielefeld with Tobi’s family. Got to Skype with my family on Christmas day.
- Relaxed a lot the week between Christmas & New Year’s